Friday, January 1, 2016

Phrase of the Day: DON'T TAKE FOR GRANTED


Happy New Year, dear readers!

If you are anything like me -- and, for Heaven's sake, I sure hope you're not -- after any year that has been rough, the prospect of a new year being better than the one past is an appealing one.  Sometimes, that better year comes, sometimes it doesn't.  Still, we still hope for it.

I would like to get a little personal here.  This past year has been a rough one for me.  I will spare you all the details, but I will say that I am one of many who are glad to see 2015 end.  There were a number of highlights, to be sure.  I don't want to paint a picture of  a year-long festival of failures, but it did involve financial issues, emotions, and day-to-day stresses at home.

While it can be said that there are those whose year was far worse, which is certainly true, and I should have a better outlook because of the up moments, some things still weighed heavily.  I am thankful for those happy moments, and they were not few and far between, but the over-arching issues were never far away from my thoughts.

I am used to being the one to help others, whether it was money, buying something, or simply being an open ear and a shoulder to cry on.  I have been in situations this year where I had to ask, and did so, but it was very difficult for me.  When someone could help, they did.

There were times when I was surprised by unexpected generosity by some dear friends.  There was one of those unexpected times in the Fall.   This Christmas was a double unexpected surprise.  Dear friends stepping up to help when a friend is in need.  Tears were shed.

It is not because my friends are intentionally dismissive of someone in need; most of my friends are simply unable to help due to their own situations.  That is what made this Christmas so special.  It was as though Santa Claus is not always one person and my years-long wish for a Santa finally came true.

I have never taken my good friends for granted.  I have helped them whenever possible and, more specific to what I have shared here, never expected any help.  My message for you, dear readers, at the start of a new year is to never take your friends (and any loved ones) for granted.  Being a friend is not a contract of indebtedness; friends help when can because they want to help. If you can help a friend, a loved one, or even, perhaps, a stranger, whatever help in that situation may be, do it.

Do not take your life, including your abilities and gifts, for granted -- perhaps an opportunity to help has come into your realm of attention for a reason -- and do not always assume someone else will help.  Do not take your life, and life in general, for granted.  I wish all of you a wonderful, blessed, satisfying, and happy new year!



Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment