Thursday, August 21, 2014

Phrase of the Day: LOSS OF A GENIUS

Last week, the world lost a comedy legend, a comedy icon, and a comedy force, all in one person. On August 11, Robin Williams died at his home in Tiburon, California, from suicide. He was sixty-three years and his career, from his first appearance as Mork on 'Happy Days', spanned more than thirty-five years.

He was described by David Letterman as a "hurricane". His quick wit and rapid-fire delivery made him a real comedic force. He was one of those rare comedic actors who could also handle much more serious dramatic roles. He was awarded several awards including several Grammy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Screen Actors Guild Awards, and an Academy Award.

I first saw him, as did many, on 'Mork and Mindy' and was immediately impressed with him. He could make me laugh uproariously and touch me deeply in more serious roles. He was truly gifted, which makes his death and how he died even more tragic.

He brought joy into my life and I wish I could thank him.

We still have a vast body of work from which he will be enjoyed for years to come. On that note, I will share one of the greatest interviews I believe he ever gave. It is from 2001 during his appearance on Inside the Actors Studio with host James Lipton. Enjoy!



Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment